Thursday, November 09, 2006
November 7, 2006 - Decision Day
On November 7, there was definitely a buzz in the air in Ohio. Everywhere you turned, there was another person adorned with an "I voted today, " sticker on their chests. And each friend was greeted with the phrase, "Did you vote yet?"
The night before election day carried a different sort of buzz, more like an urgency, as supporters of both of the smoking issues tried desperately to educate voters in the finals hours.
College Green was decorated with signs along pathways informing students about Issues 4 and 5. Although, it would seem that busy college students wouldn't notice the signs as they're running to their next class, many students were discussing the issues as they walked up and down, comparing the facts.
Junior Kim Tobias, was using the smoking issues as an excuse to quit the habit.
"I'm going to vote no on Issue 4 and yes on Issue 5. Because, although I am a smoker, if I cannot smoke in public places, I will have more of an incentive to quit smoking," she said.
Tobias said that she found the two issues confusing, even second-guessing her choice when she first voted.
"My biggest deciding factor is I don't think it is fair that non-smokers should be around smokers, although it's going to stink to have to change my smoking habits," Tobias said.
Kristin Trace, another OU student, also voted yes on Issue 5.
"I think the right to breathe clean air is more important than the right to smoke where you want," Trace said.
Other students were concerned about the amendment-factor of Issue 4.
"I voted no on Issue 4 and yes on Issue 5 because Issue 4 was a Constitutional Amendment and would be really hard to change if it passed," said junior Carolyn Swabek. "I agree in people's right to smoke, but I also agree in people's right not to smoke and because second-hand smoke has been proven to be harmful to people and I think it's important to protect those rights."
The night before election day carried a different sort of buzz, more like an urgency, as supporters of both of the smoking issues tried desperately to educate voters in the finals hours.
College Green was decorated with signs along pathways informing students about Issues 4 and 5. Although, it would seem that busy college students wouldn't notice the signs as they're running to their next class, many students were discussing the issues as they walked up and down, comparing the facts.Junior Kim Tobias, was using the smoking issues as an excuse to quit the habit.
"I'm going to vote no on Issue 4 and yes on Issue 5. Because, although I am a smoker, if I cannot smoke in public places, I will have more of an incentive to quit smoking," she said.
Tobias said that she found the two issues confusing, even second-guessing her choice when she first voted.
"My biggest deciding factor is I don't think it is fair that non-smokers should be around smokers, although it's going to stink to have to change my smoking habits," Tobias said.
Kristin Trace, another OU student, also voted yes on Issue 5.
"I think the right to breathe clean air is more important than the right to smoke where you want," Trace said.
Other students were concerned about the amendment-factor of Issue 4.
"I voted no on Issue 4 and yes on Issue 5 because Issue 4 was a Constitutional Amendment and would be really hard to change if it passed," said junior Carolyn Swabek. "I agree in people's right to smoke, but I also agree in people's right not to smoke and because second-hand smoke has been proven to be harmful to people and I think it's important to protect those rights."